Bonsai Tree Seeds
If I were to grow a plant in my house, I would have to prefer mini-trees called bonsai trees. I consider bonsai trees as the most complete plant you can grow inside your house. It can provide all the needs you wanted your plant have such as beauty, magic, color, fruits, fresh air, herbal use and many others.
Most of us may would want to buy bonsai trees that are fully grown, the trees that would not need much of our attention. We like bonsai trees that would only require as to continue what the former owner have started. This means that we are usually attracted to buy bonsai trees that are already on display.
However, if you are passionate about growing plants in your backyard and if you are a plant grower, it would be best if you try growing bonsai trees yourself by starting with a bonsai tree seeds. Most people would not want to go into the task of taking care of seeds and waiting for it to grow. But if you wanted to feel the achievement of being able to grow a bonsai tree out of a seed than I suggest that you buy bonsai tree seeds.
Bonsai Tree Seeds
Well, bonsai tree seeds are not exactly bonsai tree seeds. They are normally what we call ordinary tree seeds. That means that these trees are capable of growing into as tall as the biggest trees in the forest. However, these seeds which they call bonsai tree seeds are seeds of trees or “species of trees” that are best to be grown as bonsai trees.
Why is this so? Most trees can be grown into bonsai trees. That is, all trees can have its own miniature version or a bonsai tree version but there are particular trees in tropical forests that are considered as the most desirable trees to grow as bonsai.
These tropical forest trees are especially chosen by bonsai experts as the best trees to grow into bonsai.
However, there are also “dwarf trees” which are affected by fungus that are scientifically called as “Apiosporina collinsii”. This fungi can affect the genetics of a certain tree seed. There are three known species of trees that are affected with Yatsubusa or “Witch Broom” disease and those are Chinese Elms, Trident maples and Japanese black pines.
Since these trees rarely produce seeds, they are mostly being propagated through the “cutting method”.
The bonsai tree seeds that are sold in many local stores, bonsai exhibits and online shopping websites are tree seeds that have its own positive characteristics that would make it great to be grown as bonsai.
What are the qualities of a good tree to be grown into bonsai?
Most bonsai experts choose trees that have the following characteristics:
2. herbal and aroma attributes
3. fruits or flowers
4. trees having the capacity for adaptation and change
5. tropical trees are the best bonsai trees
6. trees that requires lesser attention
Well, there are so many characteristics that bonsai growers look into however the most important characteristic would be a tree’s capability to adapt to changes. This attribute is important since trees that are set to be grown into bonsai should be able to maintain its beauty while placed inside a house. Being placed inside , a house means a change in atmosphere for trees, lesser sunlight, water and other primary needs that a tropical tree may have.
10 Steps in Growing Bonsai Tree Seeds
How to grow bonsai tree seeds?
This process may or may not be applicable for certain bonsai tree seeds. However, it is best to follow the instructions included within a bonsai tree seeds package.
Take note that bonsai trees have different characteristics. One method of planting a bonsai tree may not entirely work on a single species of trees.
The process to be included below are steps or guidelines generally applicable for most bonsai tree seeds. Normally, growing bonsai tree seeds is similar to growing an ordinary tree seed.
1. You may buy bonsai tree seeds in many local gardening stores. A variety of bonsai tree seeds are available online.
2. Place bonsai tree seeds in a dark and dry area. The area has to have a free-flowing amount of air coming in and out. Keep it there until February or April for summer season.
3. Place the seeds in a refrigerator a week before planting them.
4. Identify which seeds are the ripest by placing them on water. The ripest seeds should sink at the bottom of the water. The ripest seeds are the best bonsai tree seeds to grow.
5. Growing a bonsai tree may require retransferring of the tree from one suitable container to another. Most bonsai trees are placed in ceramic containers or plastic garden containers. Any of the containers to be used needs to have drainage holes to keep the soil moistened but not entirely wet as the roots may rot from too much water.
6. Choose planting soil that are recommended for bonsai tree seeds. However, it may vary depending on the type of tree.
7. Create holes on the planting soil and place your seeds on each of these holes.
8. The first phase of growing a bonsai tree requires a well-ventilated, dark and dry area. The place should not be too airy as well. A good sprinkle of water is enough to keep the seeds healthy.
9. If the seeds sprout and visible from the soil, you may start exposing it to sunlight.
10. As soon as the branches and roots are strong enough. You may start applying the bonsai tree growing techniques which generally includes wirings of roots and branches, cutting and pruning of leaves.